I normally watch beauty tutorials on youtube. Google owns youtube. That means that because google tracks what you search and finds ads to fit what you shop for, that while I watch videos it does the same. Youtube also has a suggested playlist of videos to watch next, of people that have similar channels to what you already search.
The ads usually seem to be the same, and are interesting because they usually aren’t the same as the ones you find on television. as of right now, there are Super Bowl ads every outlet we tune into. Otherwise there are car commercials, or lotion commercials, or more wholesome commercials in my opinion. They aren’t always steered toward buying normal household products or food. They aren’t restaurant advertisements. They are more about technology including cars, or beauty products. This will make us want to buy what we see int he videos and outside of the videos.
It is a never ending cycle, and that is the media’s goal is to always make us adjust our lives, in this case buy more. I can simply choose not to watch these types of videos and not expose myself to caring about makeup as much or what new beauty products are out there.
Each type of media is going to have a narrowed focus to a specific audience. Google isn’t putting original thoughts into my head, but feeding into what I already am interested in buying or looking at, so that I would have a less chance of straying away from the exposure.
Hey Jennica, I have also noticed how Google filters adds or search suggestions based off of my previous searches. It kind of bothers me that my interests are being "tracked" all of the time, but I think that is what people want from their media nowadays. It seems that people feel more comfortable when they are only seeing ads that appeal to them, or something like a YouTube video suggestion that might interest them. It is human nature, but I think it may be better if we are exposed to things we do not necessarily like, agree with, or take interest in. I think that we would be opened up to new possibilities and new ideas if our search engines are not "people pleasers". Also, in another class, one of my teachers pointed out the "incognito" setting on Google to us, which allows you to search without the sites you visit being recorded.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteHi Jennica,
I really like your point on the commercials that the internet gives us, where the goal is to make us adjust our lives. I could be watching a sports car commercial and feel as if I absolutely need it for a second and then I am reminded that I don’t need it at all. I am also on you tube a lot and I didn’t really consider it as media until you brought it up. I am definitely more aware and a tad bit skeptic about the messages I receive while on the internet.
Hey, I also have noticed the different between the commercials on cable and the commercials on Youtube. Internet commercials seem to be more geared towards advertising something.
ReplyDelete